samedi 20 avril 2013

Welcome!



Hey everyone!

So, now that I've launched myself into making blogs, I can't get enough of them!  Not too sure if anyone reads them or not, but at least it lets me get my ideas out there, and maybe this one will be a little more helpful than Jean's Knits.

A while ago I asked myself the question: "Is it possible to eat well and healthy on a budget?"  In our household, we're two people and two cats, and we (the people) found ourselves being limited to pasta, potatoes and other foods that were cheap and quick to make, but not always the most healthy or appealing things.

So we decided to make a change and, this is the product.  It's a constant work in progress, but so far so good, and hopefully it'll just get better and better!


Some of what you can expect to find here:

-Since meat over here in France is fairly expensive, we eat it only when we really want it, or when someone gives us some (that's what boyfriend's mothers are good for right?), so if you're looking for a meaty good time, this is probably not the blog for you.

-Because we're living on such a budget, a lot of the same veggies and fruits will be used in a bunch of recipes, since we know we like them and know we can afford them.

-Also, since we're on the metric system over here, a lot of the recipes will probably have measurements in grams, so go ahead and invest in a kitchen scale.  They're really handy, and you can find them at a low cost (plus Alton Brown says you should just measure every ingredient with a scale because your proportions will be more exact).

-It's good to invest in a lasagna pan, because you can make so many things in it.  I found one for about $15, and we use it a couple of times a week.


Disclaimer:

- Since I am living in a foreign country, I'll do my best to find an American alternative if it's a product you can't find in the states.

- I'm not really good about making food look good in photos, but that's not what I'm after.  Be courageous and try it!  (plus the lighting in my kitchen is terrible, meaning I have to use flash in almost all my photos....)


Last but not least:

If you try out a recipe, but change something about it, let me know and I'll update the site.

Have a recipe you love?  Shoot me an e-mail, and we'll try it out :)


Questions or Comments?

E-mail: slindema89@gmail.com

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire